CE Hrs: 6 non-contact APT Approved Provider #12-318, Certified Training Partner for IBCCES #CE159432
Participants complete the training online through the Jennifer Taylor Play Therapy Online Training Site. Click the link below to read more about the online training process and to register for the training. If you have any questions please let us know.
Registration and Information: Using Sandtrays with Children and Adolescents with Autism
Using sandtrays with children with autism spectrum disorder can be a rewarding and challenging process. Professionals must understand the special considerations and various nuances when working with children with ASD in the sandtray. This training explores how to use traditional Sandtray Therapy methodology and unconventional methods to help children with ASD develop skills in relation to connection and engagement, regulation and sensory processing, and social skills. Special considerations will be covered, sand alternatives will be explored, and research and limitations will be presented. Participants will learn several interventions that can be implemented with children with ASD and will engage in article reading, watching video clips, and completing experiential exercises.
1) Describe the basic definition and setup of sandtray therapy.
2) Define what typically works and does not work for children with autism when using sandtrays.
3) Identify the AutPlay limit setting model when using sandtray work with children with autism.
4) Describe special considerations when attempting sandtray work with children with autism.
5) List at least two engagement and connection interventions using the sandtray.
6) List at least two social skill interventions using the sandtray.
Continuing Education for Mental Health Professionals:
6 CE hrs. This training is appropriate for: Registered Play Therapists, Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Psychologists, and School Counselors, students pursing a mental health degree or license, and any other mental health professional. This training is approved for 6 CE Hrs by the Association for Play Therapy and IBCCES (Certified Autism Specialist and Autism Certificate).