CE Hrs: 6 non-contact APT Approved Provider #12-318, Certified Training Partner for IBCCES #CE159432
Participants complete the training online through the Jennifer Taylor Play Therapy Online Training Site. Click the link below to read more about the online training process and to register for the training. If you have any questions please let us know.
Registration and Information: The Autism Friendly Play Therapist Training
Based on the award winning Autism-Friendly training, this training focuses on helping play therapists and other mental health professionals understand what autism is and how to interact with those on the autism spectrum. This training promotes awareness of the social, sensory, and environmental barriers which affect individuals who have autism. Participants will learn how play is affected and play strengths and deficits common with autism. Participants will also learn how to set up an autism friendly play therapy room, how to understand and address behavior in the playroom, and issues to consider when implementing play therapy theories with children with autism. This training is perfect for play therapists and other mental health professionals who are beginning to work with children with autism and needing to gain valuable information for communicating, interacting, and providing mental health care to children with autism.
1) Define how social and communication issues common with autism affect the play therapy experience.
2) Explain typical manifestations of autism and what to expect when providing play therapy with children with autism.
3) List play strengths and deficits typical with autism.
4) Explain how to use toys and materials in the playroom to best work with children with autism.
5) Describe how to establish a sensory friendly playroom.
6) Explain strategies for managing autism related behavior in play therapy sessions.
Continuing Education for Mental Health Professionals:
6 CE hrs. This training is appropriate for: Registered Play Therapists, Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Psychologists, and School Counselors, students pursing a mental health degree or license, and any other mental health professional. This training is approved for 6 CE Hrs by the Association for Play Therapy and IBCCES (Certified Autism Specialist and Autism Certificate).