AutPlay Therapy is a training and educational program to help mental health professionals learn about, work with, and support Neurodivergent children through a neurodiversity affirming understanding. Parents play a significant role in their Neurodivergent child’s navigation and growth. You are the primary attachment figure, the everyday caregiver, and the main person who teaches, guides, nurtures, and models for your child. To help you better understand your Neurodivergent child and neurodiversity affirming concepts, we have created a Parent’s Resource Guide. Please print off this guide and access the relevant resources to further your knowledge and understanding.
Connect with a Certified AutPlay Therapy Provider
Parents can know that Certified AutPlay Therapy Providers have participated in specific training focused on understanding how to implement play therapy approaches through a neurodiversity affirming lens. Having a certification as an AutPlay Therapy Provider and being listed in this provider directory does not indicate that a person’s current professional status is accurate, nor does it communicate that someone is fully knowledgeable in play therapy or neurodiversity affirming work. Those seeking a professional should be diligent in interviewing the professional to assess for best fit. They following interview questions are provided as a guide:
1) What are your credentials training, and expedience and what type of services do you provide?
2) What type of play therapy do you offer and what are your credentials/training for providing play therapy?
3) What is your experience working with Autistic/Neurodivergent children and their families?
4) Can you describe the types of issues you have worked on with Neurodivergent children?
5) How might the play therapy you offer benefit my Autistic/Neurodivergent child?
6) What would a typical play therapy session look like and how would you involve the parent and/or family members?
7) What are some possible mental health needs and typical therapy goals when working with Neurodivergent children?
8) How would you conceptualize neurodiversity and describe a neurodiversity affirming approach?
View the Find an AutPlay Provider page to find a provider closest to your community.
Participate in a Consultation Session
Sometimes parents have a few questions or simply need some “next step” guidance, sometimes parents want more formal information about relational parenting, play therapy, or neurodiversity. We offer consultation sessions for parents. Consultations can be provided in person, by phone, or video conference. No matter where you live, you can participate in a consultation. Typical consultation services include understanding dysregulated behavior, AutPlay at home, and understanding autism. Visit the Consultation Services page for more information or email us at email@example.com.